God is love. There is neither hatred nor envy in him. His love is inestimable. It is more than and beyond any human comparisons. To understand it thoroughly we may need a lifetime. In our earthly relations parental love is considered as the highest and unparalleled form of love. Psalmist says, even if the parents forsake me the lord will receive me (Psalm 27: 10). The Lord’s compassion on his children is also compared to the earthly father’s compassion (Psalm 103:13). God also says that, though a mother may forget you, I will not forget you (Isaiah 49:15). The earth and its elements, the world and its relationships cannot offer the kind of love that god showers on his children. God has great plans for his children. Plans to prosper you and me and not to harm us. (Jeremiah 29:11) The Psalmist says, How precious are your thoughts about me, O God! They cannot be numbered!
The parental love, the love of the spouse, siblings, our children and friends is short lived and a shadow of the real love that we are going to experience forever in the bosom of God. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. (John 15:13). He sacrificed his everything to redeem us from the pit and bondage of sin and to set us free, free indeed! He paid the price as a ransom and purchased us and how can He possibly abandon us.
GODS PROMISES ON LOVE
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
- But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- We love because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19)
- Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
- So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. (1 John 4:16)
- The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. (Jeremaiah 31:3)
- In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.(1 John 4:10)
- But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. (Psalm 86:15)
- And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Matt 22:37-39)
- Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations, (Deut 7:9)
- Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21)
PRAYER: Lord, your love has no limits.The earthly love that I experience here is only a shadow with all its limitations and shortcomings. You understand, you care and you persevere with us. You give, give and give everything all the time to our unsatisfied souls. If all the sky were paper and all the ocean is ink, to write about the greatness of your love soon the ocean would drain dry. Help us to prioritise and value the love you have for us and to the whole world.